From Kit No. 17006 (Check your kit to verify current
Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby
Please read these Rules and Instructions before building your
The Pinewood Derby is open to all Cub
Scouts. Cars should be built by the Cub Scouts with some adult
guidance. Any technical assistance should be fully explained to the
Cub Scout so that he can use that knowledge on future projects.
Because it is difficult to establish how much help was given in building
the car, some Packs have a separate Pinewood Derby Race for adults.
IMPORTANT: The Race Committee should decide on rules and race
procedures, then have them printed and distributed to all participants at
least two weeks before the race.
- Width - Not over 2 3/4"
- Length - Not over 7"
- Weight - Not over 5 ounces
- Width between wheels - 1 3/4"
- Bottom clearance between car and track - 3/8"
- Wheel bearings, washers and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on springs.
- Only official Cub Scout Grand Prix Pinewood Derby wheels and axles
- Only dry lubricant is permitted.
- Details, such as steering wheel and driver are permissible as long as
these details do not exceed the maximum length, width and weight specifications.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices.
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection Committee
before it may compete.
- If, at registration, a car does not pass inspection, the owner will
be informed of the reason for failure, and will be given time within the
official weigh-in time period to make the adjustment. After final
approval, cars will not be reinspected unless the car is damaged in
handling or in a race.
Note: Your pack may go by just
these Official rules(1997)
that come in the pinewood derby kit box. But if you want to be able
to continue on and compete in District and Council races, you should build
your car to meet their rules. For your convenience, we have the Catalina
Council rules on our resource page. They usually post the rules on the
Council webpage page just before the district pinewood races each year.
Update: Official Rules out of the 2010 box . (pdf)